If not done correctly, collecting past due receivables can actually have a negative impact on the human body. According to ScienceDaily.com in a typical work day people sit an average of 5 hours and 41 minutes each day. Researchers indicate that the cumulative impact of sitting all day for years is associated with a range of health problems, from obesity to diabetes to cancer.
Health experts say that sitting is the new smoking.
For example, sitting in an office chair all day can lead to:
· Poor posture
· Poor digestive activity
· Eye strain
· Neck injuries such as herniated discs.
· Bad voice projection, and;
· Poor voice inflection
Top credit analysts and collectors know that communicating with a clear voice that is strong, yet measured - goes a long way to ensure you are heard and exudes confidence in your delivery. Opera, professional singers and stage performers know that voice training as well as proper posture all contribute to successful and clear communication.
There are many ways to give yourself this advantage in your own office:
· When making a collection call, stand up. People in your office are going to notice – so have fun with it.
· Make sure you have a clear goal in mind before you make the call. Never “just wing it”.
· Purchase a stand up desk that you can adjust up or down as required. We have included a picture of a desk that we use called Varidesk.com
· Purchase a longer telephone receiver cord or even better, a Bluetooth enabled headset. If you’re going to stand up during your collection calls, you may as well get your daily steps in too.